Thursday, June 23, 2005

Scaredy Dog.

I have been bad about writing lately, and my friend Ann asked when I was going to write again, so I thought I better jot something down.

I was up until 2 am last night because damn Oso (oops, I mean Oso who I love so dearly) is scared of storms and would not stop whining and wimpering next to my side of the bed. One would think that this big, black chow who would bite off the mailman's head if allowed, could handle some lightening and thunder and rain. I was in the shower and I saw him come into the bathroom so I look out the shower doors and he is cowering under the bathroom sink facing the corner. Then, when I sit down on the toilet he comes and sits down right next to me (as close as he could possibly be!)!

In the past, the vet suggested we try giving Oso benedryl so when I saw the storm coming last night, I whipped out the peanut butter and slathered it around 2 benedryl. It didn't do a thing. How is it that I can take 1/2 a benedryl and I am whiped for the entire day, but Oso can take 2 and not feel a thing? The vet wrote a prescription for some other medication so I'll give it a try. And, someone at Petsmart suggested we buy a c.d. of storms and play it when the weather is nice so Oso begins to get desensitized. I think maybe we are going a bit too far, but I'll do almost anything for a good night's sleep. I really, really hope it doesn't storm tonight because I really need to get some zzz's.

On an unrelated note, do any of you have a difficult time reading this type? My sister said that it is so small on her screen that she can barely read it. I'm wondering if it is just her computer or if it is that way on all screens. Thanks for letting me know.

Better run. I'm meeting Jen and Dave for dinner. Ann, we'll miss you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

hey, thanks for rambling, by the way. i think you should buy that CD for oso. it can't hurt and maybe you can get some good sleep.

10:24 PM  
Blogger JenC said...

have you tried the prescription from the vet? i'm curious to hear whether it worked :)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Anonymous,

Do I know you or are you just some random person hitting my blog? I hit random blogs so I understand if you are!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Jen-

I haven't tried it yet, but we will whenever the next storm hits. Earlier today I looked on amazon.com for a thunderstorm c.d. and will probably buy one. I'm worried we might be behind schedule because one website said that it could take several months to desensitize a dog. We don't have several months!

6:14 PM  
Blogger JenC said...

how has oso been doing with the storms the past couple nights?

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home