Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sore legs and dirty fingernails...what a day!

Today was a good day. It was cool and windy out so I went down to the Bridle Path on Central between Bethany Home and Northern and did my walk/run thing. It was a lot of fun, and I really mean that. I feel so good about myself when I do more than just lounge on the couch and watch t.v. or read. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to the path and then I walk/run for about 40 minutes and then walk back. My return walk takes more than 20 minutes since my legs are really tired and sore by then. I am trying to slowly build up my running skills. Right now I just run for about 1.5 minutes, walk for 2, run, walk, etc. I don't feel as winded as I thought I would, but my legs are sore. The place where my legs attach to my trunk (what an odd word) gets really sore. I must be using muscles I have never used! Casey suggested a few stretches and they helped but I'm really sore. Last time I ran I was sore for 2 days afterwards and had a really difficult time walking quickly sitting down, etc. I'm thinking this time it won't be as bad. I hope.

Later on in the day I went to Whitfill's Nursery and bought some flowers. I usually stick to a purple color scheme but I want crazy and bought some orange and yellow wildflower-looking flowers. They look great in the window boxes, especially since I left the purple lobelia in the box so the purple is in the front with the yellow and orange in the back. I had planned to use some of the flowers in the back yard but ended up using most in the front so I'll have to buy more.

Casey got some bouganvilla for the backyard so we'll have tons of color soon! We get irrigation Friday night, which is great because it will make digging much, much easier. Although none of that will matter if we don't get the weeds cut. To quote a friend, "so, are you cultivating dandelions in your backyard?" It is really bad. I can't get over how quickly they grow. I keep looking out the window and thinking I must pull them (yeah, right the yard is too hard) out and before I get to it they have doubled in size! I think I am going to leave that one to our yard guy. He charges $25 to cut our grass and even thought the grass hasn't grown much he can come and cut down the weeds. It will be a well-spent $25.

That's all for now. If I get around to it I'll post a picture of our new flowers. They make me so happy and I want to share the joy with you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

that bouganvilla will grow like crazy. but the flowers on it are very pretty.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Yes, we are hoping that the 9 he bought will cover the back and side walls in no time flat! We'll get rain this weekend (hopefully!) so that will help!

8:10 PM  
Blogger JenC said...

i had a physical therapist tell me once that you have to hold a stretch for at least 30 seconds (each) for it to work. that might help the soreness?

bouganvilla is so pretty... we have one in our backyard, and it's just starting to open up again for the spring!

we also have some dandelion plants (full-fledged plants!) growing... i keep meaning to blog about it, but it's kind of embarrassing! they're doing better than the actual flowers i planted :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger kate said...

so was that friend who made such a witty comment about dandelions, me? can't remember. :O) i'm so happy your purple tulips are going crazy. i'm going to head outside in a little bit to turn over the dirt for my planting lettuce and peas on friday.

as far as your sore legs, drink lots of water and try ice. miss you too!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home