Monday, May 08, 2006

Wonderful Weekend!

I had a wonderful weekend and thought I would share with all of you. Well, all four of you!

Friday night Casey and I took an amazing partner yoga class at At One Yoga. It was a two hour class. We spent the first 30 minutes doing individual and partner yoga postures. The next hour was spent learning Thai massage - I worked on Casey for 3o minutes and he then worked on me for 30 minutes. It was so relaxing. We spent the next 30 minutes learning facial and cranial massage (15 minues per person) and the last 5 minutes were spent meditating and relaxing. I felt like a big rubberband when I left the studio! Plus, it was a wonderful bonding experience becuase we were encouraged to make loving comments, tell our partner what we were thankful for (in our relationship) and to make lots of eye contact. It might sound a bit touchy-feely but it was really fabulous. I was pleasantly surprised when Casey agreed to go but I was even more surprised, and thankful, when he happily agreed to attend another class next month.

On Saturday morning I was still feeling the wonderful effects of the yoga class. When I ran my legs were extremely loose and didn't hurt the way the usually do. Because I felt so great I was able to run 12 minutes non-stop (minus waiting for the light to change at Central and Glendale), which is a really big deal for me because when I started running I could only run 1.5 minutes at a time. By the time I got home I felt so powerful and healthy! My legs were a bit sore later that day and yesterday but nothing too major.

Saturday night we went out for Chinese food at P.F. Chang's. It is really fun to sit at the bar and watch the scene. We ate quickly because we wanted to make the 7:50 United 93. Now, I must tell you that I didn't want to see this movie. I was horrified when I saw the previews and thought it was going to be sensational and exploit the victims. However, Casey told me that he read a review in the Wall Street Journal, and heard a segment on NPR, and it was supposed to be the complete opposite. And he was right. Many of the "characters" played themselves and no celebrities were cast. It was honest and powerful and, well, painful. I cried during certain parts and cannot imagine the horror of losing a family member on September 11th (or ever). The movie painted a very clear picture of what happened that day and, according to Casey, the storyline was extremely accurate - based on conversations with control tower employees, military people and family members of those on flight 93. I would highly recommend this movie to everyone. To quote Casey, "Every American should be required to see United 93."

Well, that's enough for now. I hope you all had a good weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger JenC said...

it sounds like you had a great weekend! i'm so glad you guys enjoyed the yoga class. maybe now i can convince dave to go. ;-)

3:47 PM  
Blogger Erica Kern O'Neill said...

Jen-

It was really fun and all levels. Casey had only been to two yoga classes, 5 years ago, before this one and he had absolutely no problem with the postures. The next class is the first Friday in June, 6 - 8 pm. It is at the At One Yoga at Grayhawk and is $40 per couple. We'll be there.

4:26 PM  
Blogger kate said...

dude!! i want to do couples yoga!! i'm going to have to check out if the local studios do it. it sounds wonderful. i just can't go see united 93. everytime a preview comes on or i see a review, my gut wrenches. its just too soon and i'm saddened that the industry thinks we are ready to see that again. i know the families all signed off on it, but i just can't look at it yet.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home